Effective July 1, the University of Oregon’s Architecture and Allied Arts Library will be renamed the Design Library.
The changeover will be reflected in the library’s signage, website, job titles, directory and wayfinding materials, social media accounts, book spine labels and other collateral. The Design Library’s new URL will be library.uoregon.edu/design.
This change is in coordination with the renaming of the UO School of Architecture and Allied Arts, which will be known as the College of Design as of July 1. According to Christoph Lindner, the school’s dean, the new name “signals a shared commitment to creative problem-solving, original thinking and real-world engagement.”
Although the library is not officially a part of the college, noted head librarian Ed Teague, its collections, faculty and staff primarily support the diverse academic programs associated with the College of Design. Teague also pointed out that the library’s close affiliation with the college is a longstanding one.
“A library collection has served the College of Design since its founding in 1914, with Camilla Leach serving as its manager,” Teague said. “Miss Leach was also the university’s first registrar.”
Part of the seven-branch UO Libraries system, the Design Library is a major center for art and architectural information in the Pacific Northwest. Occupying three floors of Lawrence Hall, the Design Library’s sunlit spaces and seating arrangements provide a welcoming environment for users. A hallmark of the library is a two-story reading room named after Marion Dean Ross, whose bequest has enabled the development of a rich collection of rare books on architectural history.