UO researchers and scholars were recently featured in stories about big data, deleting Facebook, immigrants in the workforce, and school safety, among other topics.
Colin Koopman, an associate professor of philosophy, penned a New York Times op-ed about how democracy can survive big data.
Here are some other places where UO researchers were mentioned in the media:
- CNN interviewed Mark Carey, a professor of history and environmental studies, for a story on the history of surviving abrupt climate change. Carey teaches in the UO’s Clark Honors College.
- Leland O'Driscoll, manager of the UO's Oregon Seismic Network, was quoted in a CNBC story on funding for the West Coast earthquake warning system.
- Kelli Matthews, a senior instructor of journalism at the UO, talked to a Los Angeles Times reporter about major brands deleting Facebook pages.
- The Washington Post interviewed Ellen Schmidt-Devlin, executive director and co-founder of the sports product management program, for a story about virtual shoe testing.
- Marketplace interviewed UO anthropology professor Lynn Stephen for a story on the role immigrants play in the labor force.
- UO ethnic studies professor Charise Cheney authored an article for The Conversation about Linda Brown. The piece was picked up by dozens of media outlets, including the Newsweek, Los Angeles Times, the Associated Press and Raw Story.
- UO law professor Michael Musheno co-authored an article for The Conversation about how a culture of trust is key for school safety. The story also ran in the Chicago Tribune, the Houston Chronicle and the Los Angeles Times.
- KGW interviewed Lauren Miller for a story on the new UO 360 program. Miller is the director of strategic communications and marketing in Student Services and Enrollment Management and the Division of Student Life.
Around the O would like to know when members of the UO faculty, staff or students are interviewed by media or have written for publications based on their role at the UO. If you or a colleague have been in the news please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to learn more about writing for The Conversation, email Molly Blancett at email@example.com.