Fifteen UO faculty members have received the prestigious Fund for Faculty Excellence Award in recognition of their excellence in creative accomplishment and contributions to their respective fields and the university.
Established in 2006 with the support of businessman Lorry I. Lokey, the Fund for Faculty Excellence is designed to highlight and support world-class research and teaching at the UO. More than 175 faculty members have received the award.
“The Fund for Faculty Excellence has served as an important opportunity to recognize some of the most impactful faculty at the UO,” said Provost and Senior Vice President Patrick Phillips. “Being a great research university is wholly dependent upon having great faculty — and these faculty members help to change the lives our students — and make major contributions to society each and every day.
“This has never been more true as we look forward to building the university of the future out of the challenges of the present. I am deeply grateful for the contributions that all of this year’s recipients provide to the core mission of the university and congratulate them on their awards.”
The recipients are tenure-track faculty members nominated by deans from each school and college. Nominations are reviewed by the Fund for Faculty Excellence awards committee before a final selection of up to 15 winners is made by the provost. Winners receive a one-time award of $20,000 or research funds amounting to $26,200.
Recipients of the Fund for Faculty Excellence awards for 2020-21 are:
- Kemi Balogun, associate professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies and sociology.
- Michael Fakhri, associate professor of law.
- Bryna Goodman, professor of history.
- David Hollenberg, associate professor of religious studies.
- Adrianne Huxtable, associate professor of human physiology.
- Ron Jude, professor of art.
- Jun Li, professor of computer and information science.
- Seungahn Nah, professor of journalism and media studies.
- Carol Paty, associate professor of earth sciences, Clark Honors College.
- Melissa Redford, professor of linguistics.
- Sanjay Srivastava, professor of psychology.
- Kelly Sutherland, associate professor of biology.
- Roxi Thoren, professor and department head of landscape architecture.
- Alejandro Vallega, professor of philosophy.
- Jim Watkins, associate professor of earth sciences.