A new regular feature about UO employees has launched in Around the O Workplace, because for every coworker you know, there are hundreds you don’t with compelling stories about how they contribute to the university and our community.
Duck of the Week aims to tell the stories of our employees and their work in their own words.
There are those who work directly with students, teaching and advising. Others who research and support discovery. Many who keep the university ticking by managing programs, IT, buildings and facilities. Our colleagues have interesting hobbies, volunteer in the community, or may be the person in your department who makes your workday a little brighter.
We kick off the series with Bonnie Gutierrez, assistant registrar of operations, who oversees incoming transcripts and transfer credits for students enrolling at the UO after attending another colleges and universities.
Take a moment to nominate a coworker or two to be featured in an upcoming week. Nominations are open to faculty members, officers of administration, classified staff, graduate employees and student workers.
Duck of the Week will replace Beyond the Call, which launched last spring to highlight the extraordinary work of employees who went above and beyond to respond to the pandemic and support students as the university transitioned quickly to remote learning.
Here’s a look back at employees featured in Beyond the Call:
- Nancy Cheng, associate professor and department head of architecture.
- Joelle Rankins Goodwin, senior associate director for recruitment administration.
- Heather Gustafson, assistant registrar for operations, registration and academic history.
- Tom Hahn, career instructor of architecture.
- Shaun Haskins, business operations manager in the College of Design.
- Geordi Helmick, student shop manager on campus.
- Micah Howe, assistant director for visit programs.
- Linda Long, curator of manuscripts for UO Libraries.
- Michael Luna, interim coordinator of welcome and transition experience.
- Daniel Mundra, senior developer in Information Services.
- Shari Powell, associate director for Purchasing and Contracting Services.
- Sky Seymour, assistant director in the Office of Admissions.
- Michael Suskin, systems administrator for Information Services.
- Gary Sullivan, director of User Support Services in Information Services.
- Nic Walcott, photographer and videographer in University Communications.
- John Woelfe, facility services manager at the UO Portland campus.
- Joel Youngblom, website developer for the Office of the Registrar.