Fifteen faculty members have been selected for the prestigious Fund for Faculty Excellence Awards, UO Provost Jayanth Banavar has announced.
The Fund for Faculty Excellence was established in 2006 through the support of Lorry Lokey and increases the academic quality and reputation of the University of Oregon by highlighting and supporting world-class research and teaching.
The fund is designed to recognize, reward and retain nationally competitive faculty members who have a record of excellence in research, scholarship, creative accomplishment and education. More than 150 faculty members have now received the award.
Candidates are nominated by deans, with advice from faculty and unit heads, and nominations are reviewed by the Fund for Faculty Excellence Awards review committee before a final determination is made by the provost. The awards provide faculty members with a $20,000 salary supplement or $30,000 for research support.
Recipients of the Fund for Faculty Excellence Awards for 2018-19 are:
- Alice Barkan, professor, biology.
- Elliott Berkman, associate professor, psychology.
- Christopher Chávez, associate professor, advertising.
- Hank Childs, associate professor, computer and information science.
- Judith Eisen, professor, biology.
- Ramesh Jasti, associate professor, chemistry and biochemistry.
- Vera Keller, associate professor, history.
- Ernesto Martinez, associate professor, ethnic studies.
- Ken Prehoda, professor, chemistry and biochemistry.
- Nick Proudfoot, professor, mathematics.
- Kathleen Scalise, associate professor, education methodology, policy, and leadership.
- Steven Shoemaker, professor, religious studies.
- Daniela Vallega-Neu, associate professor, philosophy.
- Tuong Vu, professor, political science.
- Rocio Zambrana, associate professor, philosophy.