Members of the University of Oregon community and the public alike are welcome to spend their Friday lunch hours watching live performances by students from the School of Music and Dance.
This free recital series is held at noon every Friday of spring term at the Global Scholars Hall, Room 123, and audience members are encouraged to bring their lunch and enjoy the music.
John Jantzi, senior instructor of music theory keyboard skills, organized the recitals to give the musicians and dancers opportunities to perform and to share the diverse talent of the School of Music and Dance with anyone who wants to come see and hear them perform.
“It is a thrill for me to hear such incredible talent week after week that would otherwise not be heard by the public,” Jantzi said. “My intention is to provide a space for performers and the public alike to meet and hear wonderful music by the students.”
Matthias Vogel, senior instructor of German and Scandinavian and faculty-in-residence at the Global Scholars Hall, said the recitals bring opportunities for students to creatively engage with one another in a relaxed setting. He said the recitals run for about 30 minutes from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m., and afterward audience members have the chance to speak with the performers.
Here is the spring 2019 schedule:
- April 12: Simeon Brown, a graduate student of Fritz Gearhart, will perform the “Partita No. 3 in E major for Solo Violin” by J.S. Bach.
- April 19: Chandler Larsen, a percussion student of Pius Cheung, will play a variety of pieces for snare drum and marimba, including one he composed, called “Desert Synchronism.”
- April 26: Rebecca Stankis, a graduate piano student of Dean Kramer, plans to play the piano Beethoven “Sonata op. 10, no. 2” and Rachmaninoff “Etudes Op. 33, Nos. 3, 4, and 8.”
- May 3: A graduate student ensemble will play “Schubert String Quintet in C.”
- May 10: A group of students of Michael Grose known as the Euphonium Quartet will perform.
- May 24: Zaira Castillo-Ramos, a piano student of Alexandre Dossin, will perform the Bach “Toccata in C Minor” and Beethoven “Sonata Op. 110.”
- June 7: Simeon Brown will return to play “Violin Sonata No. 1” by John King, “Sonata for Violin and Piano in E minor” by Samuel Lord Kalchiem and a short piece by Michael Fleming.
To receive notifications about upcoming recitals, sign up for the email mailing list at a recital or by emailing Jantzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.