A message from the Eugene and University of Oregon police departments:
Over the holidays, criminals target residences near the university that may be vacant.
The Eugene Police Department and University of Oregon Police Department are sharing these simple tips to help campus community members protect their property over winter break:
* When away, keep doors and windows locked and window coverings closed.
* Don't leave valuables visible through windows.
* Take valuables with you over holidays or long trips.
For even more security:
* Ask a trusted neighbor to alert you or law enforcement in the event of suspicious activity.
* Have mail or package delivery held or re-routed if you will be gone for more than a few days.
* Set lights on timers to give the appearance that the residence is occupied.
For vehicle security:
* Park vehicles in busy, well-lit areas (or a secured parking facility).
* Use a steering wheel lock and vehicle security system.
* Never leave any property in a parked vehicle.
Report crimes immediately. Off-campus, contact Eugene Police at 541-682-5111. On-campus, contact UOPD at 541-346-2919. In all emergencies in all locations, call 9-1-1.