The Western Golf Association's tee-to-green (and gold) connection with the University of Oregon made a big splash last weekend in The Register-Guard.
The newspaper published a two-story package featuring the 58-year relationship between the UO and the WGA, which has funded 200 Evans scholarships at the university since 1956. The WGA announced recently that it will establish an Evans Scholarship House at the UO, which will be the residence hall for 50 scholarship recipients beginning in 2015. The UO currently has 12 Evans Scholars.
The main story in The Register Guard's package features a few of the UO's current Evans Scholars and the history of the scholarship program, which was launched in 1930 by Chicago golfer Charles "Chick" Evans. A sidebar story looks at the WGA's decision to establish its first Pacific Northwest scholarship house at the UO.
The Register-Guard also had a story about the Evans Scholarship House in its Feb. 25 Outdoors section.
- from the UO Office of Public Affairs Communication