Having a positive impact on the lives of students and excellence in research goes well beyond the contents of any syllabus. For more than 60 years, the Distinguished Teaching Awards have celebrated faculty members for their contribution to engaged, inclusive and research-led teaching at the University of Oregon.
The Office of the Provost seeks nominations until Feb. 1 for the UO’s highest teaching honor.
“The university has a wonderful, longstanding tradition of recognizing exceptional teachers with the Ersted and Herman Teaching Awards,” said Sierra Dawson, associate vice provost for academic affairs. “Since we have defined what teaching quality means at the UO, we are able to recognize faculty who embody the teaching practices we value.”
The Distinguished Teaching Awards include:
- The Ersted Award for Distinguished Teaching, recognizing excellence in teaching by faculty members early in their careers.
- The Ersted Award for Specialized Pedagogy, recognizing faculty who have demonstrated exceptional teaching abilities and who have expertise in a particular area of teaching.
- The Thomas F. Herman Faculty Achievement Award for Distinguished Teaching, given to senior career instructional or tenure track faculty who have demonstrated longstanding excellence in teaching, and who have significantly contributed to student learning at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- The Herman Award for Specialized Pedagogy, honoring senior faculty members for outstanding achievement in a focused area of teaching.
- The Herman Award for Outstanding Online Education, recognizing faculty members at any stage of their careers who have demonstrated innovation and creativity in implementing excellent learning experiences using the online or hybrid format.
A committee of career instructional and tenure-track faculty members select the awardees. The Office of the Provost convenes the committee and administers the process. To nominate a faculty member for one of the awards by the deadline, use this survey.
Four Oregon-made myrtlewood apples and two crystal apples will be distributed to the selected faculty members for demonstrating excellence in the classroom. The names of the recipients are kept secret until the faculty members are surprised with their awards during a class or meeting.
Information about the Distinguished Teaching Awards can be found on the Office of the Provost’s website.
— By Jessica T. Brown, University Communications