UO researchers and scholars were recently featured in stories about the Alabama election, storytelling, earthquakes, hand washing and sports marketing, among other topics.
Joseph Lowndes, a political science professor at the UO, wrote a response piece to Roy Moore’s failed Senate campaign in the Washington Post. The story ran the morning after Moore was defeated in the special election.
Here are some other places where UO researchers were mentioned in the media:
- UO anthropology instructor Michelle Scalise Sugiyama was quoted several times in an Atlantic story about storytelling and Filipino hunter-gatherers.
- A recent earthquake in Oregon showed the benefits of an early warning system and highlighted the UO connection with the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network. A story in The Oregonian included commentary by UO earth sciences professor Doug Toomey and research associate Leland O’Driscoll.
- A Newsweek reporter interviewed UO psychology professor Paul Slovic for a story on psychic numbing.
- UO international studies professor Anita Weiss was quoted in The International News, a Pakistani media outlet.
- Law professor Merle Weiner wrote a parent’s guide to ending sexual harassment and assault. The article appeared on The Conversation and was picked up by dozens of media outlets,
- Michelle Sconce Massaquoi, a doctoral candidate in microbiology, explained the best ways to keep hands clean in a microbial world in a piece for The Conversation. The story was picked up by dozens of media outlets, including the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Warsaw Sports Marketing Center director Whitney Wagoner talked to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about the value of a university having a highly ranked football team.
Around the O would like to know when members of the UO faculty, staff or students are interviewed by media or have written for publications based on their role at the UO. If you or a colleague have been in the news please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to learn more about writing for The Conversation, email Molly Blancett at email@example.com.